MANILA, Philippines — Gilas Pilipinas coach Tim Cone said the national team still has plenty to improve after it escaped with an 81-76 win over Korean Basketball League club Ulsan Hyundai Mobis Phoebus in a tuneup game Thursday at the San Miguel Corporation Sports Complex in Pasig.
“We didn’t play well, but the game gave us a good indication of where we are and how far we have to go to get ready,” Cone said after the game.
The exhibition served as a test for Gilas four days after the team began preparations for its crucial home games against Jordan on Aug. 28 and Iran on Aug. 30 at Mall of Asia Arena.
The Philippines enters the fourth window with little room for error after finishing the first round with a 2-4 record against Australia, New Zealand and Guam. Gilas now needs wins in the second round to strengthen its chances of reaching the 2027 FIBA World Cup.
Cone also welcomed the return of Kai Sotto, who saw action against Ulsan after rejoining the national team. Sotto had not played for Gilas since late 2024.
Cone previously described Sotto as a “game-changer” and expressed relief that the 7-foot-3 center responded to the team’s call for the crucial window.
AJ Edu, Justine Baltazar and June Mar Fajardo remain among the team’s available big men, while Quentin Millora-Brown remains sidelined.
CJ Perez also returned to the national team after missing the previous window. Converge’s Justin Arana and Terrafirma’s Geo Chiu are among the newcomers in the pool.
Gilas is still awaiting Justin Brownlee, who remains in the United States while recovering from hamstring and knee injuries.
The team will host Jordan on Aug. 28 before facing Iran two days later, with both games scheduled at Mall of Asia Arena.