Mavericks, Stars settle dispute, plan to stay at American Airlines Center through 2031

photo credit: KERA News

DALLAS — The Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars have settled their legal dispute and reached an agreement that will keep both teams at American Airlines Center through the 2030-31 season, the organizations announced Monday.

The teams said in a joint statement that the agreement resolves their outstanding issues but did not disclose details of the settlement.

The dispute began last year when the Mavericks accused the Stars of violating a franchise agreement that required the hockey team to maintain its corporate headquarters within Dallas. The Mavericks also alleged that the Stars interfered with maintenance and improvement projects at American Airlines Center.

Dallas City Manager Kimberly Bizor Tolbert said the city welcomed the agreement as officials plan the future of downtown Dallas and its sports and entertainment district.

The settlement comes as both franchises explore development plans that could eventually move them from downtown.

The Mavericks have entered option agreements to potentially acquire about 104 acres at the former Valley View Mall site in North Dallas for a future development. The team has said the move would keep the franchise in Dallas.

The Stars announced earlier this summer that they plan to move their operations to Plano.

The Mavericks also faced speculation that the team could pursue the Dallas City Hall property for a future arena, but the organization has said it has no plans to take over the site.

Despite the teams’ separate development plans, Monday’s agreement keeps both franchises at American Airlines Center through the 2030-31 season.

Related posts

Dallas council member urges city review of data centers

Paxton secures order to protect baby in Texas surrogacy dispute

Dallas coalition sues city over alleged neglect of City Hall