UT San Antonio limits access to systems after potential cybersecurity breach

Photo credit: TPR.org

SAN ANTONIO — The University of Texas at San Antonio has restricted access to some university accounts and online services after detecting unauthorized activity on its technology systems over the weekend, just two days before the fall semester begins.

University officials said Monday that the activity occurred at the edge of the university’s network and did not reach core systems. University Technology Solutions worked with outside cybersecurity experts to contain the activity and protect the university’s technology environment.

Officials said the ongoing investigation has found no evidence of a data breach so far.

The disruption has affected students, faculty and staff as the university prepares for the first day of classes on Wednesday, Aug. 19.

The timing has raised concerns among students and families who needed access to university accounts to pay tuition, enroll in payment plans, change classes or review course information.

UT San Antonio extended the payment deadline to 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 21. The university also said it was restoring waitlists and keeping fall registration open.

University phone systems also experienced an outage Monday, with officials expecting service to return later in the day.

The university said it is continuing to investigate the incident and will take additional measures to secure its accounts and systems.

Students, faculty and staff will receive instructions to reset their university passwords, known as “passphrases,” once officials determine the process is ready.

The university urged users to wait for the official notification before attempting to reset their passphrases.

Officials said the temporary changes are intended to give students and employees additional time as technology services are restored.

Related posts

USDA confirms 46 New World screwworm cases in Texas, New Mexico

San Antonio council rejects public vote on $489M Spurs arena contribution

San Antonio mother pushes for stronger online protections nearly decade after son’s suicide