BANGKOK — Thailand’s cabinet approved plans Tuesday to shorten visa-free stays for tourists from more than 90 countries as part of efforts to curb crimes involving foreign nationals, officials said.
Tourism Minister Surasak Phancharoenworakul said the government would reduce the current 60-day visa-free stay period and determine new limits on a country-by-country basis. Most visitors would be allowed to stay for up to 30 days, while some nationalities could receive only 15 days.
Thailand currently allows travelers from more than 90 countries, including the United States, Israel, countries in Europe’s Schengen area and several South American nations, to enter without a visa for up to 60 days.
Government officials said the policy change follows several recent arrests involving foreign nationals linked to alleged drug offenses, sex trafficking and unauthorized business operations.
A government spokeswoman said tourists could still apply for one extension through an immigration office. She added that immigration officers would decide whether to approve extended stays after reviewing each traveler’s explanation for remaining longer in the country.
Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow said last week that the measure forms part of a broader crackdown on transnational crime. He said authorities are targeting individuals who misuse Thailand’s visa system rather than specific countries.
Government spokesperson Rachada Dhanadirek said the existing visa-free program had benefited the economy but also allowed some individuals to exploit the system.
Thailand expanded visa-free stays from 30 days to 60 days in July 2024 to support tourism and economic recovery after the Covid-19 pandemic.
Tourism contributes more than 10 percent of Thailand’s gross domestic product, according to government data. Visitor arrivals, however, remain below pre-pandemic levels.
Tourism ministry data showed foreign arrivals during the first quarter of 2026 fell about 3.4 percent compared with the same period in 2025, including a nearly one-third decline in visitors from the Middle East.
The government said it expects about 33.5 million foreign tourists this year, compared with nearly 33 million last year.