Romualdez files supplemental affidavit citing ex-bodyguard’s recantation

Photo credit: Inquirer.net

MANILA, Philippines — The camp of former House Speaker Martin Romualdez filed a supplemental counter affidavit with the Office of the Ombudsman on Thursday, citing the recantation of a former security aide who had accused him of receiving cash-filled suitcases.

Romualdez’s lawyer Felix Villa submitted the document at the Ombudsman headquarters. He said the affidavit included a statement from Orly Guteza, a former security personnel of ex-Ako Bicol Rep. Zaldy Co, concerning the alleged delivery of suitcases of cash to Romualdez’s residence.

The media did not immediately obtain a copy of the supplemental counter affidavit. Villa also declined to provide details and referred questions to Romualdez’s spokesperson.

Romualdez spokesperson Ade Fajardo said the filing also included statements from 25 other former drivers and security aides of Co.

“We remain confident that in a fair investigating body, we could prove that the accusations against Rep. Romualdez are baseless,” Fajardo said.

The Ombudsman, however, said Guteza’s recantation would not stop its investigation. The anti-graft body said it has 28 other witnesses who can provide direct and material information about the transactions under investigation.

Fajardo said the investigation had continued for several months but claimed authorities had not presented forensic, documentary or physical evidence linking Romualdez to the alleged scheme.

Ombudsman investigators filed a supplemental complaint-affidavit on July 20 accusing Romualdez, Co and their co-accused of plunder, direct bribery, graft and corruption, and money laundering.

Investigators alleged that Romualdez and Co engaged in coordinated acts that resulted in the alleged accumulation of about P56 billion in ill-gotten wealth from 2022 to 2025.

Witnesses, including former members of Co’s security detail known as the “Maleta boys,” have alleged that some of the money was delivered through suitcases. Several of those witnesses have since recanted their statements.

The Ombudsman has previously said it could include recanting witnesses in the plunder complaint and has questioned the credibility of joint affidavits submitted by some of them.

Related posts

Justice chief urges parents to monitor children’s online activity

Malacañang accepts Sara Duterte call for greater transparency on foreign trips

Padilla backs ‘Robin Padilla Law’ repeal, calls for martial law to fight crime