Roblox under fire as Los Angeles sues over child exploitation

Photo credit: Inquirer.net

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles County filed a lawsuit Thursday against Roblox, alleging the online gaming platform exposes children to sexual content, exploitation and online predators.

In the complaint, the county said Roblox failed to implement adequate content moderation and age-verification systems and did not sufficiently disclose risks posed by inappropriate material and sexual predators. County officials said the platform’s safeguards are not fit for purpose.

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Hilda Solis said the lawsuit seeks to protect children from online predators and inappropriate content. County lawyer Dawyn R. Harrison said the suit alleges the company provides tools that predators can misuse to target minors.

Roblox said it disputes the allegations. In a statement, the company said it built the platform with safety measures at its core and uses systems to monitor harmful content and communications. The company said users cannot send or receive images through chat and that it takes action against violators and works with law enforcement.

Roblox said it has about 144 million daily active users worldwide, with more than 40 percent under age 13. The platform allows users to create, share and play games and interact using customizable avatars. While access is free, users can purchase virtual currency for in-game upgrades.

The lawsuit follows previous criticism of the platform’s safety practices, including a 2024 report by Hindenburg Research that raised concerns about exposure to grooming and sexual content. Earlier this month, the Australian government said it was seeking a meeting with Roblox regarding child safety issues.

The case adds to broader legal efforts in Los Angeles targeting technology companies over alleged harms to young users.

Related posts

Patel travels to Italy on FBI jet, eyes Olympic hockey finals

Skier fires back at Trump criticism with ‘L’ sign after advancing

Trump weighs military action vs Iran with timeline still uncertain