President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is open to releasing his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) if necessary, Malacañang said Friday, as the government pursues an investigation into alleged irregularities in multibillion-peso flood control projects.
Palace press officer Claire Castro told reporters the administration’s priority is holding accountable officials linked to questionable projects, but said President Marcos and other members of the executive branch are willing to undergo lifestyle checks.
Her remarks came after Senate Deputy Minority Leader Risa Hontiveros urged the President to set an example by publicly disclosing his SALN, saying it would strengthen his directive for lifestyle checks across government. Hontiveros said she would also release her own SALN, while the Makabayan bloc in the House warned that a refusal by President Marcos could signal a lack of transparency.
President Marcos has previously expressed reluctance to making SALNs public. During his 2022 presidential campaign, he said disclosure could be misused for political attacks, citing the 2012 impeachment of then–Chief Justice Renato Corona, whom he voted to acquit as senator.
Meanwhile, Senate Minority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri said lifestyle checks should apply to all public officials, elected or appointed, and suggested involving a third-party body, including civil society groups, to ensure impartiality. He noted that declared assets must be consistent with tax records and legitimate income sources.