Malacañang accepts Sara Duterte call for greater transparency on foreign trips

Photo credit: Inquirer.net

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang said Wednesday it was willing to disclose travel authorities and expenses issued by the Office of the President (OP) after Vice President Sara Duterte called for greater transparency on government officials’ foreign trips.

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the OP had consistently disclosed President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s official and working foreign trips and was prepared to confirm travel authorities issued to government officials.

“The Office of the President has always been transparent when it comes to travel,” Castro said during a briefing.

Castro said records of Marcos’ foreign trips, including receipts and expenses, had been reported to the Commission on Audit.

“There are complete receipts. There are no fake receipts and no aliases. These can be seen, and they have also been reported to the Commission on Audit,” she said.

Duterte made her call after canceling a planned personal trip to Japan from Aug. 19 to 24. She urged the Palace to make public all travel authorities it issued, along with corresponding expenses and public funds used.

The OP is seeking P1.014 billion under the proposed P10.083-billion 2027 budget for local and foreign missions and state visits. The proposed allocation is slightly lower than the P1.018 billion approved for travel under the 2026 national budget.

The OP issues foreign travel authorities for Cabinet members and officials of equivalent rank, as well as heads of government-owned and -controlled corporations and government financing institutions under or attached to the OP.

Castro said the Palace would not single out Duterte and would provide information on travel authorities issued to any government official.

“What we really need here is transparency. Whoever demands transparency should also be transparent about their activities,” Castro said.

Related posts

Padilla backs ‘Robin Padilla Law’ repeal, calls for martial law to fight crime

Acosta says Sara Duterte ordered release of P125 million confidential funds

Senate approves bill banning hospital detention over unpaid bills