‘Coup’ buzz grows as minority bloc rallies behind Sherwin Gatchalian

Photo credit: PhilStar

MANILA, Philippines — Sherwin Gatchalian may emerge as the next Senate president amid talks of another leadership shakeup in the chamber, with backing reportedly coming from the “Solid Bloc 11” minority group and several senators expected to switch sides.

Former Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson and Sen. Francis Pangilinan separately endorsed Gatchalian on Saturday, describing him as a capable unifier who could restore stability and credibility in the Senate.

The lawmakers did not specify what could trigger another change in leadership following the May 11 ouster of former Senate President Vicente Sotto III, who had been backed by the minority bloc.

Gatchalian, 52, earlier said he was prepared to assume the Senate presidency, noting the chamber’s critical role in handling the possible impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte.

“We, of the SB-11 or Solid Bloc 11, all want Senator Sherwin ‘Win’ Gatchalian to become Senate President,” Pangilinan said in a statement.

He described Gatchalian as “competent, steady, and fair,” adding that the senator had demonstrated leadership during deliberations on the proposed 2026 national budget.

Pangilinan also claimed that current Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano himself had indicated openness to supporting Gatchalian for the post.

Gatchalian previously chaired the Senate committee on finance before he was replaced this week by Sen. Mark Villar after Cayetano secured 13 votes to win the Senate presidency.

Lacson echoed Pangilinan’s support, saying Gatchalian possesses the qualifications and work ethic needed to lead the chamber.

“He is capable, qualified and prepares for his work,” Lacson said in a radio interview. “In all the committee hearings he attended or presided over, he knew what he was talking about and he was prepared.”

Lacson said restoring the Senate’s integrity had become “non-negotiable” following a turbulent week marked by Sotto’s ouster, a shooting incident inside the Senate building, and the controversial escape of Sen. Ronald dela Rosa from the Senate’s so-called “protective custody.”

He added that public perception of the Senate had suffered significantly.

“Never in my memory as a senator have I seen the House of Representatives enjoying better public perception than the Senate,” Lacson said.

Gatchalian acknowledged that the Senate’s image had taken a hit following the recent controversies.

“It really took a hit, we can’t deny that,” he said in a radio interview Friday, adding that the shooting incident may be “one of the ugliest marks” in Senate history.

The senator also emphasized the importance of fairness and neutrality if the Senate proceeds with an impeachment trial against Duterte.

“It is important not only for the Senate President, but for each senator, to carefully study the articles of impeachment and thoroughly examine the evidence,” he said.

Gatchalian said he would push for reforms to ensure legislative work continues smoothly even during leadership transitions, noting that committee reshuffles often delay priority measures.

Despite the uncertainty in the chamber, he said the Senate must remain focused on economic concerns affecting Filipinos, including inflation and the impact of global conflicts.

Before entering the Senate in 2016, Gatchalian served as representative and mayor of Valenzuela. He was reelected senator in 2022.

Related posts

NBI head warns Senate against harboring fugitives

Ombudsman asked to probe Rodolfo Marcoleta over graft allegations

Harboring Ronald dela Rosa may bring legal trouble, DOJ warns