Cincinnati Open sends four Americans into semifinals

Photo credit: Inquirer.net

MASON, Ohio — Frances Tiafoe and Brandon Nakashima advanced to the Cincinnati Open men’s semifinals Friday, joining Coco Gauff and Jessica Pegula to give the United States four players in the tournament’s final four.

Tiafoe defeated Italy’s Lorenzo Musetti, 7-6 (2), 7-5, while Nakashima beat fellow American Taylor Fritz, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, setting up the first all-American men’s semifinal in Cincinnati since Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish reached the stage in 2010.

Tiafoe will face Nakashima, who is coached by Tiafoe’s former coach, Wayne Ferreira.

“It’s a guy who knows me pretty well in Wayne,” Tiafoe said. “I expect some good serving and all the best from him. Happy where I’ve been mentally more than anything. This has been a great week.”

Nakashima also became the first American man since Fish in 2011 to reach the semifinals in both Canada and Cincinnati in the same season.

Tiafoe reached the Cincinnati final last year, where he lost to Jannik Sinner. The other men’s semifinal will feature Italy’s Flavio Cobolli against France’s Arthur Fils.

In the women’s draw, Gauff defeated Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk, 6-2, 6-2, to reach the semifinals.

Gauff will face 20-year-old Czech qualifier Sara Bejlek, who defeated 2019 Cincinnati champion Madison Keys, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5). Bejlek also upset world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka in the fourth round.

“It’s insane, I think we’re all doing so well,” Gauff said. “Hopefully, you know, we can have a double title win. Obviously there are more matches to be played for that to happen. We definitely root for each other.”

Related posts

William Jones Cup format draws backlash after Taiwan advances over 5-1 Strong Group

Kai Sotto returns as Gilas Pilipinas beats Ulsan in tune-up game

FIFA vice president withdraws support for Infantino after Lamour dismissal