Cambodia will not compete in eight sports at the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand next month due to safety concerns, an Olympic official said Thursday.
The National Olympic Committee of Cambodia (NOCC) informed the Southeast Asian Games Federation in a letter Wednesday that sports including football, petanque, wrestling, judo, and karate would be affected.
NOCC secretary-general Vath Chamroeun told AFP the move was “about safety” and would help officials better manage the team. The number of Cambodian athletes competing has been reduced from 333 to 150, participating in 13 events instead of the full slate.
The decision comes amid ongoing tensions along the Thailand-Cambodia border. Intermittent military clashes since earlier this year have killed more than 40 people. While a truce has largely halted hostilities, diplomatic strains remain.
The border dispute dates back to maps drawn during French colonial rule, with both nations claiming several boundary temples.