Austin mayor urges state to recognize AISD progress amid takeover threat

Photo credit: KUT.org

AUSTIN, Texas — Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said Monday he hopes state education officials will consider Austin Independent School District’s recent progress as they decide whether to intervene in the district after two middle schools received their fifth consecutive failing rating.

Watson said he expects discussions with state officials as the district goes through the appeal process, although no talks have taken place yet.

“There’s an appeal process, and then there’s some time before ultimate decisions have to be made,” Watson said. “But the two schools that have had the five years in a row of F’s, something’s gonna need to happen there.”

Austin ISD became the only Texas school district to trigger a potential state intervention under the latest accountability ratings after Webb and Burnet middle schools received five consecutive F ratings.

Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath could appoint a new superintendent and board of managers to oversee the entire district. He could also order the closure of the two schools and appoint a conservator to monitor the district.

Watson said students at Burnet and Webb could move to campuses with A or B ratings, but he said the state will determine whether such changes would prevent a districtwide intervention.

Austin ISD has until Sept. 11 to appeal the ratings. Superintendent Matias Segura said district officials are reviewing the appeal process but has not said whether they will challenge the ratings.

Despite the two failing campuses, Austin ISD received an overall B rating this year, improving from a C for the first time in four years.

The district also reported a 42% increase in A- and B-rated campuses over the past two years, while the number of campuses receiving D or F ratings fell 35%.

Watson credited Segura, who became superintendent in 2024, for helping drive the improvement.

“It is undeniable that AISD is making the kind of improvement that we should all want and that the state of Texas wants,” Watson said.

Segura said last week that continued progress could bring the number of F-rated schools to zero within a year.

Morath said Friday that it was too early to discuss what action the state might take. A final decision is expected before Dec. 11.

Related posts

CBP pauses Big Bend border construction ahead of commissioner’s visit

DFW Airport cancels Islamic prayer facility after Abbott funding threat

H-E-B removes 54 products amid salmonella concerns tied to jalapeños