Mexican Football Federation targets homophobic chants as World Cup nears

Photo credit: Inquirer.net

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican Football Federation has launched a new campaign aimed at stopping fans from using a homophobic chant during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, just weeks before the tournament kicks off.

The initiative, titled “The Wave Yes, The Chant No,” features former Mexican national team players from the 1986 World Cup and is part of a renewed effort to address a long-standing issue that has repeatedly drawn sanctions from FIFA.

The chant — which typically erupts during opposing goal kicks — has been a recurring problem for Mexican football for nearly two decades and resurfaced again during recent Liga MX playoff matches.

Officials said the campaign will run in two phases, from May 21 to 31 and June 1 to 30, and will include appearances by former stars such as Hugo Sánchez, Manuel Negrete, and national team coach Javier Aguirre, who will urge supporters to stop the behavior.

Mexico will co-host the 2026 World Cup with the United States and Canada, with its opening match scheduled for June 11 against South Africa. It will be the third time Mexico hosts the tournament.

The federation said the campaign also seeks to revive pride in “The Wave,” the stadium phenomenon popularized globally during the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.

The chant, widely condemned by LGBT+ groups and sanctioned multiple times by FIFA, has previously appeared in World Cup tournaments in Brazil (2014), Russia (2018), and Qatar (2022), leading to fines and disciplinary action against Mexican football authorities.

Mexican officials currently have appeals pending before the Court of Arbitration for Sport over previous FIFA sanctions related to the chant.

Related posts

U.S. puts Taiwan arms deal on hold amid Iran conflict, Navy official says

Iran’s tiered internet system leaves many offline

Thai princess’s health declines, royal palace announces