Trump responds to SCOTUS decision with 10% global tariffs

Photo credit: Fox News

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump signed a new executive order on Thursday imposing a 10 per cent tariff on all imports to the United States, hours after the Supreme Court struck down an earlier global tariff plan.

The new order applies a uniform 10 per cent duty on goods from all foreign countries. White House officials said the measure aims to address trade imbalances and counter what they described as unfair foreign trade practices. The administration has not immediately released details on product categories or implementation guidelines.

Earlier Thursday, the Supreme Court ruled that the previous tariff plan exceeded the executive branch’s authority under existing trade and tariff laws. The earlier plan, challenged by trade groups and businesses, would have applied broad tariffs across multiple sectors. The justices’ decision limited the president’s unilateral power to impose global tariffs.

Members of Congress are monitoring the policy. Some have supported broad executive authority on trade matters, while others have previously called for limits on presidential tariff powers. Foreign governments are reviewing the order and may consider responses under World Trade Organization rules or bilateral trade agreements.

Customs and border officials will enforce the tariffs at ports of entry. Importers may need to update documentation, contracts, and compliance systems. The administration said the order is part of a broader effort to reshape U.S. trade policy and maintain pressure on foreign exporters.

Related posts

Trump orders Pentagon transparency on UFOs and alien encounters

Patel travels to Italy on FBI jet, eyes Olympic hockey finals

Skier fires back at Trump criticism with ‘L’ sign after advancing