LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
CONTACT US
  • Texas
  • Austin
  • Dallas Fort Worth
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
  • Rio Grande
  • United States
  • Around the Globe
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Politics
08/22/2026

Stay Informed and Engaged with LAWIN.news—Your Updated Daily News Source for Filipino-Americans in Texas

ADVERTISE WITH LAWIN
08/22/2026
LAWIN.news

Romualdez to face Ombudsman probe into flood control mess

by LAWIN.news August 2, 2026
written by LAWIN.news August 2, 2026
Photo credit: Inquirer.net
42

MANILA, Philippines — Former House Speaker and incumbent Leyte 1st District Rep. Martin Romualdez will face the Office of the Ombudsman’s preliminary investigation into his alleged involvement in the flood control controversy, his lawyer said Sunday.

Romualdez’s lawyer, Atty. Ade Fajardo, said the lawmaker will answer the allegations against him but wants the proceedings to follow due process.

“We are preparing for the preliminary investigation and Congressman Romualdez will answer that,” Fajardo said in a dzMM interview, according to a statement from Romualdez’s office.

“He is ready to face all of these allegations. But it has to be done through due process. That has always been our position, that we be given a level playing field, so to speak, in these proceedings,” he added.

Fajardo also said Romualdez has no plans to leave the country and continues to perform his duties as Leyte’s first-district representative.

“Congressman Romualdez is not fleeing. He has remained in the country, attending to his constituents and, of course, fulfilling his legislative duties as the representative of Leyte,” he said.

The lawyer also maintained that authorities have presented no evidence linking Romualdez to the enactment of the 2025 national budget or the implementation of flood control projects.

Fajardo said Romualdez only signed the 2025 national budget and pointed to the Independent Commission on Infrastructure’s findings regarding the lack of evidence against the former speaker.

Fajardo also rejected the credibility of testimonies from 18 individuals who claimed to have served as former bodyguards of ex-Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co. The group, referred to as the “maleta boys,” has reportedly provided statements that the Ombudsman may use in its investigation.

“Our initial reaction is the same as what we’ve been saying all along: We do not find the claims of this so-called ‘maleta boy’ believable. They simply lack credibility,” Fajardo said.

He cited the Ombudsman’s earlier statement that the individuals’ claims appeared to have been calculated to destabilize the situation.

Fajardo also pointed to perjury charges that the Department of Justice filed against the 18 individuals.

“Everything they said was a lie, and that has now been proven. The Department of Justice itself, in response to the complaints filed by many of those they accused, has charged them with perjury. Simply put, that means they lied in a sworn statement,” he said.

The lawyer also questioned why the allegations focus on Romualdez when the 18 individuals named more than 20 lawmakers in their statements.

Romualdez has denied involvement in irregularities surrounding flood control projects and previously accused the Ombudsman of building cases using what he described as “discredited” witnesses.

0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
LAWIN.news

LAWIN.news is your trusted source for timely, relevant, and comprehensive news coverage. With a commitment to delivering the latest updates on local, national, and global events, LAWIN.news provides in-depth analysis, breaking news, and exclusive stories that matter to you. Our dedicated team ensures that each report is thoroughly researched and presented with clarity and integrity. Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts. Disclaimer: The views and beliefs expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of LAWIN.news, its management, editorial board, or staff.

previous post
Hundreds of minors sleep rough amid Ceuta migrant crisis
next post
Sara Duterte trial puts COA confidential fund findings in focus

You may also like

Senate yet to decide on proposed impeachment trial schedule changes

August 21, 2026

Romualdez files supplemental affidavit citing ex-bodyguard’s recantation

August 20, 2026

Justice chief urges parents to monitor children’s online activity

August 20, 2026

Malacañang accepts Sara Duterte call for greater transparency on foreign trips

August 19, 2026

Padilla backs ‘Robin Padilla Law’ repeal, calls for martial law to fight crime

August 19, 2026

Acosta says Sara Duterte ordered release of P125 million confidential funds

August 18, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Lake Zurich hits 75-year low amid Switzerland drought
  • Macron hails Sophie Adenot’s historic spacewalk as ‘French pride’
  • US sends nearly 2,300 deported Mexicans through Guatemala this year
  • TikTok agrees to $400 million settlement over alleged children’s privacy violations
  • Shaira Diaz asks for kindness amid pregnancy rumors, body-shaming comments

Recent Comments

  1. Texas and the Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR meet at PCG in Houston - Bagong APECO on Texas – Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR Meet at PCG in Houston

Recent Posts

  • Lake Zurich hits 75-year low amid Switzerland drought

    August 21, 2026
  • Macron hails Sophie Adenot’s historic spacewalk as ‘French pride’

    August 21, 2026
  • US sends nearly 2,300 deported Mexicans through Guatemala this year

    August 21, 2026
  • TikTok agrees to $400 million settlement over alleged children’s privacy violations

    August 21, 2026
  • Shaira Diaz asks for kindness amid pregnancy rumors, body-shaming comments

    August 21, 2026

Stay Updated!

LAWIN.news

Providing high-quality news stories that matters to its readers. It’s core mission is “Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts.”

  • P.O. Box 20561 Houston, Texas 77225
  • Email Address: neska@mylawin.com
  • Support: helpdesk@mylawin.com

About Links

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Compliance
  • Media Relations
  • Advertise With Us
  • Corporate Information
  • Apps & Products

Useful Links

  • Privacy Policy
  • Data Tracking
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
  • Personal Information
  • Accessibility Statement
  • Login | Register Account

Newsletter

Latest News

Shaira Diaz asks for kindness amid pregnancy rumors, body-shaming comments
Miss Grand USA names Victoria Oluwakotanmi new 2026 queen after Mekayla Li’s dethronement
Tim Cone sees plenty to fix as Gilas Pilipinas edges Ulsan in tuneup
Texas appeals court cuts Alex Jones’ Sandy Hook damages to $1.5 million

@2025 – All Right Reserved. Made with ❤️ by myVATA.co

Facebook Twitter Instagram Linkedin Youtube
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
@2024 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by myVATA.co