New Israel land registration step in West Bank draws criticism

Photo credit: MySA

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Israel will begin a land regulation process in a large portion of the occupied West Bank, a move that could allow the government to gain control over significant areas for future development, according to a Cabinet decision approved Sunday.

The policy resumes “settlement of land title” procedures that had been frozen since the Six-Day War. Under the process, individuals claiming ownership must submit documentation to prove their rights when authorities designate areas for registration.

The anti-settlement group Peace Now warned the measure could amount to a large-scale transfer of land from Palestinians. Hagit Ofran, who leads the group’s Settlement Watch program, said the move could enable the state to gain control of most of Area C — about 60% of the West Bank — which remains under full Israeli military control under agreements reached in the 1990s.

The office of Mahmoud Abbas called the decision “a grave escalation” and a violation of international law, urging the international community, including the United Nations Security Council and the United States, to intervene.

Israeli officials said the decision was intended to improve transparency, adding that Palestinian authorities had advanced their own land registration procedures in Area C in violation of existing agreements that grant Israel civil and military control over the area.

Critics say the documentation requirements are difficult to meet and could result in land reverting to state control. Ofran said Israel could ultimately take over as much as 83% of Area C, roughly half of the West Bank, once the process begins, potentially as early as this year.

The proposal was supported by members of Israel’s ruling coalition, including Justice Minister Yariv Levin, who said the government is committed to strengthening its hold over all parts of the territory.

Regional officials also voiced concern. Jordan called on the international community to compel Israel to halt what it described as a “dangerous escalation,” while Qatar said the policy extends efforts to deprive Palestinians of their rights.

The decision comes as Israel has expanded settlement construction, legalized outposts and introduced bureaucratic changes that critics say weaken the Palestinian Authority.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has maintained close ties with Donald Trump, whom he met in Washington last week. While previous U.S. administrations have condemned settlement expansion, Trump has publicly opposed annexation, according to Ofran.

More than 700,000 Israelis live in settlements across the West Bank and east Jerusalem, territories captured from Jordan in 1967 and sought by Palestinians for a future state. Much of the international community considers settlement construction in these areas illegal and an obstacle to peace.

An estimated 300,000 Palestinians live in Area C, with many surrounding communities relying on its agricultural and grazing lands, including parcels supported by decades-old deeds or tax records.

Related posts

Indian teens shrug off gov’t talk of social media restrictions

Prince Andrew relocates to Sandringham estate amid renewed scrutiny over Epstein ties

Malaysian boy with autism hones chess skills at his mother’s food stall