LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
CONTACT US
  • Texas
  • Austin
  • Dallas Fort Worth
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
  • Rio Grande
  • United States
  • Around the Globe
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Politics
08/18/2026

Stay Informed and Engaged with LAWIN.news—Your Updated Daily News Source for Filipino-Americans in Texas

ADVERTISE WITH LAWIN
08/18/2026
LAWIN.news

Galveston County officials ask Texas Supreme Court to block new election map

by LAWIN.news August 18, 2026
written by LAWIN.news August 18, 2026
Photo credit: Houston Public Media
8

GALVESTON COUNTY, Texas — A Galveston County constable and two residents have asked the Texas Supreme Court to block newly approved precinct boundaries for the November election, arguing that officials unlawfully changed the districts between the primary and general elections.

Precinct 3 Constable Derreck Rose and county residents filed an emergency petition Aug. 4 challenging the map approved by county commissioners June 29. The boundaries affect commissioner, constable and justice of the peace precincts.

The plaintiffs argue that changing the boundaries after the March primary denies voters equal protection because some voters will cast ballots under different precinct maps in the same election cycle.

Rose said the changes affect him as both a voter and elected official because his commissioner, constable and justice of the peace precincts all changed.

According to the petition, two commissioner precincts and three justice of the peace precincts appearing on the November ballot have different boundaries from those used in the March primary.

The plaintiffs also argue that the new map could prevent candidates who would qualify under the new boundaries from running because the lines changed after the primary.

Sarah Chen, an attorney with the Texas Civil Rights Project, called the mid-election-year redistricting unprecedented.

“It creates so much confusion and chaos,” Chen said, adding that residents have questioned how the changes could occur.

The plaintiffs asked the state’s highest court to intervene before the Nov. 3 general election, warning that the changes could undermine the primary election process and delay some voters’ ability to elect representatives in their new precincts.

Galveston County officials and attorneys representing the county did not respond to requests for comment on the emergency petition.

County Judge Mark Henry previously defended the new map, saying it would improve the efficiency of justice of the peace operations, create fiscal efficiencies and produce stronger partisan outcomes.

“It has always been my belief that overlapping constable, Justices of the Peace, and commissioner precincts would be the most efficient and beneficial setup,” Henry said in June.

The dispute comes as Galveston County continues to face a separate federal voting rights lawsuit over a 2021 precinct map that plaintiffs say weakened the voting power of Black and Hispanic residents.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Brown recently allowed that case to continue despite the county’s argument that the approval of the new map made the lawsuit moot.

Chen, who represents plaintiffs in that case, said she hopes the Texas Supreme Court will block the 2026 boundaries before the November election.

0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
LAWIN.news

LAWIN.news is your trusted source for timely, relevant, and comprehensive news coverage. With a commitment to delivering the latest updates on local, national, and global events, LAWIN.news provides in-depth analysis, breaking news, and exclusive stories that matter to you. Our dedicated team ensures that each report is thoroughly researched and presented with clarity and integrity. Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts. Disclaimer: The views and beliefs expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of LAWIN.news, its management, editorial board, or staff.

previous post
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77
next post
Houston asks federal court to reconsider ruling against minority business program

You may also like

Abbott proposes ban on H-1B visa hires in Texas public schools

August 18, 2026

Bexar County proposes $2.6 billion budget with no tax rate increase

August 18, 2026

U.S. Attorney launches Project Safe Schools to combat abuse in North Texas public schools

August 18, 2026

Houston asks federal court to reconsider ruling against minority business program

August 18, 2026

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77

August 18, 2026

CBP pauses Big Bend border construction ahead of commissioner’s visit

August 17, 2026

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Posts

  • Trump blames vandals for damaged grass near World War II Memorial
  • Austin trauma recovery center faces funding uncertainty
  • Abbott proposes ban on H-1B visa hires in Texas public schools
  • Bexar County proposes $2.6 billion budget with no tax rate increase
  • Federal court sets emergency hearing over Big Bend border wall project

Recent Comments

  1. Texas and the Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR meet at PCG in Houston - Bagong APECO on Texas – Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR Meet at PCG in Houston

Recent Posts

  • Trump blames vandals for damaged grass near World War II Memorial

    August 18, 2026
  • Austin trauma recovery center faces funding uncertainty

    August 18, 2026
  • Abbott proposes ban on H-1B visa hires in Texas public schools

    August 18, 2026
  • Bexar County proposes $2.6 billion budget with no tax rate increase

    August 18, 2026
  • Federal court sets emergency hearing over Big Bend border wall project

    August 18, 2026

Stay Updated!

LAWIN.news

Providing high-quality news stories that matters to its readers. It’s core mission is “Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts.”

  • P.O. Box 20561 Houston, Texas 77225
  • Email Address: neska@mylawin.com
  • Support: helpdesk@mylawin.com

About Links

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Compliance
  • Media Relations
  • Advertise With Us
  • Corporate Information
  • Apps & Products

Useful Links

  • Privacy Policy
  • Data Tracking
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
  • Personal Information
  • Accessibility Statement
  • Login | Register Account

Newsletter

Latest News

Federal court sets emergency hearing over Big Bend border wall project
U.S. Attorney launches Project Safe Schools to combat abuse in North Texas public schools
Rising costs push more Dallas single mothers toward housing insecurity
Houston asks federal court to reconsider ruling against minority business program

@2025 – All Right Reserved. Made with ❤️ by myVATA.co

Facebook Twitter Instagram Linkedin Youtube
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
@2024 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by myVATA.co