DOH reminds Filipinos to prioritize health during the holidays

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH / SAVED FEBRUARY 14, 2023 Facade of the DOH main office in Manila. INQUIRER.net file photo

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) is warning the public about the top health risks during the holiday season: road traffic accidents, firework-related injuries, and heart disease.

Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa said he will personally inspect public and private hospitals to check their readiness for cases linked to road crashes, fireworks, and acute coronary syndrome (ACS). He emphasized the importance of quick emergency response, from ambulance transport to proper treatment in hospitals.

DOH data showed 826 road traffic injuries were recorded from December 21, 2024, to January 6, 2025. More than half of the victims were not wearing helmets, and drunk driving remained a major factor. The DOH reminded motorists to use helmets, seatbelts, and other protective gear, and to avoid driving under the influence.

The agency also reported 844 firework-related injuries during the same period last year and urged parents to keep children away from fireworks.

The DOH further reminded the public to avoid fatty and sugary holiday food, noting 96 ACS cases were recorded during last year’s holiday season.

Philippine Heart Center cardiologist Dr. Myla Supe said heart-related cases usually increase during Christmas due to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, unhealthy food, alcohol, and stress. She warned that even those on maintenance medication can develop complications if they overindulge.

The Philippine Statistics Authority reported that ischemic heart disease remained the country’s top cause of death in 2024, with 96,049 cases from January to November.

Related posts

Drug war victims see justice in Duterte’s extended detention — lawyers

Marcos urges LGUs to uphold transparency, fight corruption

Palace calls for probe into alleged BIR money-making scheme