MANILA, Philippines — Rodante Marcoleta is facing plunder and three counts of indirect bribery complaints before the Office of the Ombudsman over alleged campaign donations amounting to P75 million, according to a complaint-affidavit obtained by Inquirer on Friday.
The complaint also named former Rep. Mike Defensor, Joseph Espiritu and Aristotle Viray as respondents in the plunder and indirect bribery charges.
The complaint stated that Defensor, Espiritu and Viray donated P30 million, P25 million and P20 million, respectively, to Marcoleta’s senatorial campaign in January 2025.
However, Marcoleta reportedly declared “no cash or in kind contributions” in his statement of contributions and expenditures submitted to the Commission on Elections.
Comelec Chairman George Erwin Garcia previously said Marcoleta received donations before the official campaign period for the 2025 elections began.
The campaign period started on Feb. 11, about a month after the alleged donations were made.
The complaint stated that while Marcoleta’s failure to declare the donations did not constitute an election offense, the acts cited in the affidavit could still result in criminal and administrative liability.
Reporters said they were still seeking Marcoleta’s comment as of posting time and would publish his response once available.