LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
CONTACT US
  • Texas
  • Austin
  • Dallas Fort Worth
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
  • Rio Grande
  • United States
  • Around the Globe
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Politics
08/18/2026

Stay Informed and Engaged with LAWIN.news—Your Updated Daily News Source for Filipino-Americans in Texas

ADVERTISE WITH LAWIN
08/18/2026
LAWIN.news

Abbott warns Houston of $110M loss amid “crisis” over HPD-ICE policy

by LAWIN.news April 14, 2026
written by LAWIN.news April 14, 2026
Photo credit: Houston Public Media
191

HOUSTON — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott threatened to withdraw $110 million in public safety grants from the city of Houston in a letter sent Monday to Mayor John Whitmire over a newly approved city policy limiting cooperation with federal immigration authorities.

The warning followed Whitmire’s support for an ordinance that restricts the Houston Police Department from detaining individuals or extending traffic stops based on civil immigration warrants issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The measure passed the Houston City Council in a 12–5 vote.

In the letter, Abbott’s office set an April 20 deadline for the city to confirm it will not enforce the ordinance and will act to repeal it.

Whitmire said the potential loss of funding would affect police and fire services, preparations for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, and coordination with the Department of Homeland Security. He described the situation as a crisis and said city officials are considering their options.

The mayor’s office scheduled a special city council meeting for Friday to consider repealing the ordinance.

Council members Alejandra Salinas, Edward Pollard, and Abbie Kamin sponsored the measure. The policy removed a prior requirement for officers to wait up to 30 minutes for ICE agents to respond.

Pollard urged the mayor to defend the policy, while Salinas criticized the state’s action as an attempt to pressure the city. Kamin said the threat could reduce funding for public safety services.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton also said he would block implementation of the ordinance and notified the city of an investigation into possible violations of state law.

The dispute marks a shift in relations between Houston and the state government. Whitmire previously said he aimed to maintain cooperation with state leaders after years of conflict under former Mayor Sylvester Turner.

Houston faces a projected $174 million budget deficit as the fiscal year ends in June, adding pressure as officials weigh the potential loss of state funding.

0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
LAWIN.news

LAWIN.news is your trusted source for timely, relevant, and comprehensive news coverage. With a commitment to delivering the latest updates on local, national, and global events, LAWIN.news provides in-depth analysis, breaking news, and exclusive stories that matter to you. Our dedicated team ensures that each report is thoroughly researched and presented with clarity and integrity. Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts. Disclaimer: The views and beliefs expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of LAWIN.news, its management, editorial board, or staff.

previous post
From Shadows to Strength: Turning Pain into Purpose and Power
next post
Texas AG Ken Paxton probes APD’s new ICE cooperation policy

You may also like

CBP pauses Big Bend border construction ahead of commissioner’s visit

August 17, 2026

Austin mayor urges state to recognize AISD progress amid takeover threat

August 17, 2026

DFW Airport cancels Islamic prayer facility after Abbott funding threat

August 17, 2026

H-E-B removes 54 products amid salmonella concerns tied to jalapeños

August 16, 2026

Bexar County weighs future of preventive health programs as pandemic funds expire

August 16, 2026

Federal court ruling lifts NFA restrictions on suppressors, certain firearms

August 15, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Russia warns Britain over reported use of UK-made drones in Ukraine strikes
  • Liechtenstein ends male-heir preference, opens throne to firstborn children
  • Mavericks, Stars settle dispute, plan to stay at American Airlines Center through 2031
  • USDA confirms 46 New World screwworm cases in Texas, New Mexico
  • San Antonio council rejects public vote on $489M Spurs arena contribution

Recent Comments

  1. Texas and the Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR meet at PCG in Houston - Bagong APECO on Texas – Philippines Economic Collaboration: APECO and PACCTX-GHR Meet at PCG in Houston

Recent Posts

  • Russia warns Britain over reported use of UK-made drones in Ukraine strikes

    August 17, 2026
  • Liechtenstein ends male-heir preference, opens throne to firstborn children

    August 17, 2026
  • Mavericks, Stars settle dispute, plan to stay at American Airlines Center through 2031

    August 17, 2026
  • USDA confirms 46 New World screwworm cases in Texas, New Mexico

    August 17, 2026
  • San Antonio council rejects public vote on $489M Spurs arena contribution

    August 17, 2026

Stay Updated!

LAWIN.news

Providing high-quality news stories that matters to its readers. It’s core mission is “Stay informed and engaged with LAWIN.news—where every story counts.”

  • P.O. Box 20561 Houston, Texas 77225
  • Email Address: neska@mylawin.com
  • Support: helpdesk@mylawin.com

About Links

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Compliance
  • Media Relations
  • Advertise With Us
  • Corporate Information
  • Apps & Products

Useful Links

  • Privacy Policy
  • Data Tracking
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
  • Personal Information
  • Accessibility Statement
  • Login | Register Account

Newsletter

Latest News

San Antonio council rejects public vote on $489M Spurs arena contribution
UT San Antonio limits access to systems after potential cybersecurity breach
CBP pauses Big Bend border construction ahead of commissioner’s visit
Austin mayor urges state to recognize AISD progress amid takeover threat

@2025 – All Right Reserved. Made with ❤️ by myVATA.co

Facebook Twitter Instagram Linkedin Youtube
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
LAWIN.news
  • Home
  • About Lawin
  • Community Events
  • Livestream
  • Faces & Voices
  • Podcasts
    • Legal Treats
    • Teacher Talk
    • Pink Table Talk
    • Be Bold. Why Not.
    • Commissary Kitchen
    • Beyond Health & Wellness
@2024 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by myVATA.co