MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has called on the identified coperpetrators of former President Rodrigo Duterte in the International Criminal Court (ICC) cases to face the charges directly and not evade responsibility if they believe they are innocent.
While the warrants of arrest have yet to be formally received by the Philippine government, Palace press officer Claire Castro said Monday that the accused could be apprehended and surrendered to the ICC via Interpol, the same procedure used for Duterte’s arrest in March last year.
“Why would they evade the arrest warrant? Are they hiding something, or do they want to avoid responsibility for past actions?” Castro said. “If they know they are innocent, they should face the matter and go through the necessary processes.”
Senators Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go are among the eight coperpetrators identified in the ICC Office of the Prosecutor’s lesser-redacted submission. The prosecution alleges that Duterte and his associates shared a “common plan” to neutralize alleged criminals, including those involved in illegal drugs, through violent acts such as murder from 2011 to 2019, during Duterte’s tenure as Davao City mayor and as president.
Castro also urged supporters of Duterte and the coperpetrators not to sow chaos. “No one should encourage disorder when authorities are serving a valid warrant of arrest,” she said. “If a case has sufficient basis, it should be heard to determine the truth.”
She added that the ICC provides a neutral forum, ensuring justice for both alleged victims and the accused. “If they can prove they have no involvement and bear no guilt, they may be acquitted,” Castro said.
Partido Demokratiko Pilipino (PDP), the political party of Duterte, Dela Rosa, and Go, has accused the Marcos administration of “derogating sovereignty” and targeting the opposition. Malacañang dismissed this, noting that the ICC investigation began in 2017, long before President Marcos assumed office.
Despite the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Rome Statute in 2019, Castro explained that the government is still obliged to cooperate with Interpol and international tribunals under Republic Act No. 9851, the Philippine law on crimes against international humanitarian law, genocide, and other crimes against humanity.
Sen. Risa Hontiveros acknowledged that the ICC process would be “difficult and painful” for the Senate, but said the matter would be addressed “at the proper time.” Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson clarified that his previous statement about ICC warrants requiring domestic court orders was meant to uphold Philippine legal processes, not to shield Dela Rosa and Go.
“Despite contrasting legal opinions, it is ultimately the Supreme Court that will interpret the constitutional provisions and legal procedures in this regard,” Lacson said.